Saturday, March 3, 2012

Broken Pieces and Fresh Starts


Having a bad day?  Family life stressing you out?  Stepkids pushing your buttons?  Husband not stepping in to correct his kids?  Did the calm reserve fly out the window in a fit of emotional backlash on hubby and the kids?

Well, I can honestly say I’ve been there.  It happened when I was loading the dishwasher after dinner...  Stepdaughter pushed my buttons for the hundredth time that day...dad was oblivious...dishes shoved into the rack...more buttons...more words...dishes hitting harder...louder words...dad not paying attention to his daughter’s disrespect...

One more button pushed and the dishes were thrown into the dishwasher, shattering in the rack... felt good... another dish shattered... have dad’s attention now... one more flying dish (wedding gifts)...and I am out the door...

Well, I drove awhile trying to decide if I even wanted to come back.  Cried...yelled...cried...prayed...cried...
After doing scenic tour of freeway loop for a couple hours, I pointed my car back home...

Love my husband...trying to love my stepchildren...need God’s grace and mercy to see this thing through.

Once I finally stopped ranting and crying, the sweetness of the Holy Spirit enveloped me—comforting me, just as He promised He would.  In Lamentations 3:22 it says, “Through the LORD’s mercies we are not consumed, because His compassions fail not.” 

Blending is hard work and emotionally taxing, even in the best of circumstances.  We all have buttons, and there will always be someone around to push them.  But God is so faithful to help us through...we are not going to be consumed if we look to Him. 

I went home.  My husband and I talked and prayed.  We settled some hard issues with the kids before going to bed.  His compassion didn’t let me down.

If you read on in the Scripture the next verse says, “They, (His compassions), are new every morning, Great is Your faithfulness.”  In the morning, I woke up to a fresh start on blending my family.

If you’ve had a bad day.  Don’t beat yourself up.  Let God help you pick up the pieces and give you a brand new start in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment